– The Salewa Alp Flow Mid GTX boots has the owner of Ski Haus excited. Now consider that Rod has owned Ski Haus since 1969. He has seen plenty of good ideas and not-so-good ideas come and go. He has tested more equipment and clothing than most so when he gives a new item a glowing review you know it is well deserved.
Recently, Rod took home a pair of the Salewa Alp Flow Mid GTX boots. He’s excited about these boots.
His first hike with the boots right out of the box was up Fish Creek Falls Trail. We have been in a pretty wet weather cycle these days and the trail was slick and slippery. The Alp Flow traction was impressive. Rod didn’t slip, felt solid with every step, the tread did not ‘glom’ up with mud and simulate a slick road tire. As he hiked the tread pattern stayed mud free shedding the muck with each step.
The fit out of the box was perfect. Rod doesn’t have narrow feet, they aren’t overly wide but his foot does have volume to it and the boot fit feels perfect. The soft nubuck leather wraps his foot snug and it flexes comfortably with the flex of his stride.
One of the really cool things about these boots is the Gore-Tex Surround Technology. The water-proof membrane wraps the foot completely – even under the foot. Surround offers a new kind of waterproof shoe with an “all-around breathable sole.” Gore developed a Surround Spacer, which is a woven polyester or polyamide mesh insole. It is a kind of spacer that allows air to pass beneath the GORE–TEX bootie insert – from under the bottom of your foot. This increases the breathability and the overall comfort of the boots. The Salewa Alp Flow sports ballistic mesh air ports on either side of the boot, your feet are able to breathe breath better than any previous waterproof boots. This results in drier and more comfortable feet.
The uppers of the boots are made with nubuck leather and ballistic mesh on the tongue and sides. A protective rubber rand at the toe and heel protect the boots against rocks and stumps. The Alp Flow climbing-style lace closure runs full length, ensuring a precise fit. The boots are built on durable Vibram soles, which have an aggressive tread pattern designed for on and off trail hiking.
- Gore-Tex Extended Comfort membrane
- Nubuck leather upper with ballistic mesh
- Protective rand at toe and heel
- Climbing-style lace closure
- 3F support system
- Gore-Tex surround midsole
- Vibram Hike Approach sole
Men’s and Women’s