Osprey Atmos AG Series Gear Review
Backpacking has come a long way over the past few decades. Especially the gear we use. Finding the right backpack to haul said gear is key. This is where Osprey has come in and changed the game. After producing backpacks for over 45 years, Osprey has learned a thing or two about providing a quality product. So, let’s talk about the Osprey Atmos AG series, a backpack that does it all.
Osprey Atmos AG Series
The Osprey Atmos AG is a pack for the traditional backpacker. The Aura AG is the female version and they both come in 50L or 65L options. The Osprey Atmos AG series is known for its innovative Anti-Gravity suspension system. This feature makes it feel as if you’re carrying less weight, and is easy to adjust to fit your body perfectly. It also allows air to flow through the mesh along your back, keeping you cool throughout the hike. It truly is safe to say that this is the “best fitting, most ventilated and comfortable pack ever made”. The easily adjustable hip belt actually hugs your waist, helping to take a significant amount of weight off of your shoulders. The best part about being a loyal Osprey customer is that all of their products are backed by their Almighty Guarantee, forever.
- Anti-Gravity suspension – feels like you are carrying less weight than is in your pack
- Removable floating top lid with dual zippered pockets and web attachment points
- Integrated FlapJacket protects gear when top lid is removed
- Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment
- Adjustable harness and Fit-on-the-Fly hip belt to dial in perfect fit
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve accommodates up to a 3L reservoir
- Front stretch mesh pocket stores rain gear for easy access when skies darken, or wet gear after the downpour stops
- Dual access stretch mesh side pockets for storing water bottles and other gear with InsideOut side compression straps
- Dual upper and lower side compression straps stabilize loads and maintain a streamlined profile
- Zippered hip belt pockets keep snacks and smaller items close at hand
- Lower zippered sleeping bag compartment with removable divider
- Dual ice tool loops
- Removable sleeping pad straps
- Sternum strap with integrated safety whistle
My Experience with the Atmos AG 65
I’ve used this pack for years. I first picked up this pack a couple of years ago for my basic backpacking needs. After two years of heavy use, I then moved into this pack full time as I embarked on my 5 month, 2,650+ mile journey along the Pacific Crest Trail. This pack was my home, it was everything to me. I didn’t realize how much faith is put into the integrity and comfort of my pack until it became apart of me.
You honestly can’t beat the Anti-Gravity suspension system. I’m no Ultra-Light backpacker. I fall into the average category of pack weight on the trail, which is around 30 lbs. or so with everything (rule of thumb is no more than 20% of your body weight). There were times in the desert where I was carrying up to 50 pounds, due to the extra water I had to carry on dry stretches. The weight is evenly distributed throughout your body, so even when you do have to carry obnoxious amounts of weight, it’s still bearable. I also want to mention how durable the material throughout the pack is. I’m not too worried about puncturing this pack when tossed around on the rocks or pulled through the cut while bushwhacking.
So basically, this pack is awesome. It’s tried and true, and gets the job done. Here at Ski Haus in Steamboat we have a wide variety of Osprey packs. Our knowledgeable sales staff is trained to take your measurements and get you properly sized for the pack that best fits your needs. Don’t forget about our SUPER SALE starting this Friday on the 18th-20th. Everything in the store will be 20%-75% OFF so if you’re in need of a new pack, don’t miss these sweet deals! See ya this weekend!