– In Steamboat Springs and our surrounding wilderness areas we don’t have to think about grizzly bears coming into our camps looking for food. But consider the marauding chipmunk, malicious marmot, aggressive grey jay (camp robber), pesky pica, and perhaps a camping partner who is out to get more than his or her fair shareof the food! Then you need to carry your food in a Bear Vault.
Too often we hear stories about critters trying to chew their way into tents or packs at night – trying get at what smells so good inside! Eliminate the hassle and the chance of your gear getting damaged and pack your camp food in a Bear Vault. The other thing to consider is that many National Parks, Monuments, and even some National Forests are requiring backcountry travelers to carry their food in bear proof canisters.
So to help in this regard, and since many of our local customers travel frequently to bear country, Ski Haus is stocking the Bear Vault. Bear Vault is one of the most economical and effective ways to carry your food in bear country. They are approved by The Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group and the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee.
Bear Vault makes two models. The BV450 Solo (pictured on the left) and the BV500 (pictured center). Both share the same features. The BV450 is suitable to carry about 4 days worth of food and the BV500 can handle up to 7 days.Here are the features:
– BV450 Solo Only 2 lbs 1 oz
– BV500 Only 2 lbs 9 oz.
– BV450 Solo has 4 days capacity
– BV500 has 7 days capacity.
– Super rugged transparent polycarbonate housing resists impacts without shattering.
– Innovative patent pending design so you can open and close the lid without tools.
– Extra wide, rain proof opening provides full access for loading, unloading, and finding items.
– Built in guides keep tie down straps in place so extra carrying case is not needed to attach to backpack.
So whether you are hiking through Glacier, Denali, The North Cascades, the Sierra, or our own backyard wilderness areas, the Bear Vault will make that trip all the more enjoyable with one less thing for you to wonder about.
The BV 450 sells for $66.95 and the BV500 sells for $79.95